It takes a community to end poverty and homelessness. There can be no “them” and “us”. The Yukon Anti-Poverty Coalition believes that by bringing the community together and building partnerships with individuals, governments, and the private and the non-profit sector, we can build a healthier, more accepting society. We can take real action to directly and positively affect the lives of everyone in our community.
Here are just a few ways you can make a difference:
- Become informed. Learn about homelessness, poverty, and issues of social exclusion.
- Respect homeless people as individuals and respond with kindness. Make eye contact and say hello.
- Support businesses that sponsor anti-poverty initiatives.
- Volunteer for the next Whitehorse Connects (335 1428).
- Donate food or cash to the Whitehorse Food Bank at 306 Alexander Street or use the drop off bins at Whitehorse grocery stores.
- Donate goods and services through your business – call YAPC (334 9317) for ideas.
- Make food for the Outreach Van (334 1647).
- Donate the proceeds of selling your clothes at Sequels (456 2533) to the Dress to Impress program.
- Speak to the Volunteer Manager at Volunteer Yukon (456 4304) about a volunteer role for you.
- Become a tutor with Yukon Learn (668 6280).
- Ask governments to provide incentives that stimulate construction of more affordable housing. Support government decisions that improve housing in Whitehorse.
- Volunteer your time or skills to Habitat for Humanity (456 4349).
- Challenge your friends, family and colleagues to get involved and support anti-poverty action.
- Donate socks, mitts, new underwear and winter clothing to the Salvation Army (668 2327) or the Outreach Van (334 1647).
- Donate personal and household supplies to Kaushee’s Place (633 7220).
- OR contact YAPC for more ideas (334 9317).